Tuesday, April 2, 2013

"Ya Give Me FEVER"!!!!

Lupus Fevers.  Low Grade.  For me it's the ole 99.9. Usually for me they are the telltale sign of an incoming lupus flare.  "INCOMING!" Watch Out!!!  lol.  I usually get the low grade fevers at the same time each afternoon, but not this time.  This time they pop in for a visit anytime during the day or night.  They are tiredsome.  They are exhausting and uncomfortable.  They are a real drag. 

I'm not surprised I have something going on.  Discoid rashes, vascular rashes and lesions, hives and other cutaneous manifestions are normal for me on an everyday basis, so I don't consider those a lupus flare.  A lupus flare is defined as any onslaught of symptoms not usually experienced that indicate an increase in disease activity.  For me, I had my first when I was diagnosed with lupus in March 2010 with lupus nephritis (my kidneys are in remission btw!!!) and I lost 40 pounds without trying, I experienced malaise, or just a huge under the weather feeling. 

Second flare I also lost a large amount of weight, again with the malaise and this time required a blood transfusion and was dx'd with hemalytic anemia (with my lupus-a sidedish, lol).

This time I think it's just a small flare, no real malaise (yet), a minor bout of sacroillitis, no weight loss (poo), a major discoid rash on my neck and upper back and a tonage of mouth and nose sores.  I think my superhuman lupus healing powers have done their job, I healed like a champ after surgery, but those superhuman lupus powers don't know when to stop, so their still going...attacking my own body a bit.  Hence the fevers.

Solution:  We all know the drill.  The dreaded/beloved/hated/dreaded/thank goodness for it/ prednisone.  Steroids.  That shot to the immune system that says "Shut the heck up already!!!!".  I'm sure the fevers will end shortly.  :)  HUGS, Julie

From Web MD:   Fever : Most people with lupus will sometimes have a low-grade fever related to the disease. Fever is sometimes a first sign of the disease.
Patient Information Sheet #8, Fever and Lupus

Fever is often a part of lupus. For some people with lupus, an intermittent (coming and going) or continuous low-grade fever may be normal. Other people, especially those taking large doses of aspirin, nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), or corticosteroids, may not have fever at all because these drugs may mask a fever.

If you have lupus, you may be more vulnerable to certain infections than other people who don’t have lupus. In addition, you may be more prone to infection if you are taking any immunosuppressive drugs for your lupus. Be alert to a temperature that is new or higher than normal for you, because it could be a sign of a developing infection or a lupus flare.

Caring for Yourself
Take your temperature at least once a day (or more often if needed) to determine what a “normal” temperature is for you.
Take your temperature and watch for a fever any time you feel chills or do not feel well.
Call your doctor immediately if you have a new or higher-thannormal temperature.
Even if you don’t have a fever, don’t hesitate to call your doctor if you do not feel well in any way, particularly if you are taking aspirin, NSAIDs, or a corticosteroid. Signs of infection other than a fever include unusual pain, cramping or swelling, a headache with neck stiffness, cold or flu symptoms, trouble breathing, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or changes in urine or stool.
Talk to your doctor about immunization against pneumococcal pneumonia and the flu.
Practice good personal hygiene.
Avoid large crowds and people who are sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment