Thursday, February 14, 2013

Anterior Cervical Fusion & DIssectomy Next WEEK!

For those of my friends that don't know, I'm having a cervical anterior fusion and dissectomy next Friday, Feb 22nd.

I have osteoarthritis in my neck, and it's gotten really bad. This is from "birthdays", lol and not my lupus. Although inflammation from lupus does make it a bit worse.

I have 3 discs herniated over 5mm with severe neural foramina on the right, a radiculopathy, some balance issues, carpal tunnel, some incontinence, tingling in my 4th and pinky fingers and numbness in my third. And I might be needing that one especially if the surgeon messes up, lol. heehee.

I've had radiofrequency ablations, cortisone and nerve blocks for the last five years for it and they aren't working any longer, plus I keep getting rashes and lesions at the shot site!

Considering my occipital and trigeminal neuralgia, my rheumatologist and neurologist agree that A) the surgery is necessary since I'm close to where it could give me permanent damage and B) it may after healing REDUCE the inflammation which has a domino effect with my cranial neuropathies.

That is my best case scenario. I know it will fix my radiculopathy. I know in the long run I will have less pain in my neck. If it works on the TN and ON then it's a true winner of a surgery!

I've got a good surgeon I trust, a very good hospital and I feel like I'm in good hands. I go in on Friday and I'll be out and about by Sunday. I wear a cervical collar for a few weeks, do some PT and the bones will fuse together all on their own. The surgeon is using some bone from my hip for material.

:) ps. here's an animation for anyone who wants to know what it is and/or may be going through a similar problem: 



Wish me luck and give me an extra thought and prayer for next Friday (a week from this Friday)..Love and HUGS, Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment