Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Pemphigus Erythematosus or AKA lupus discoid rash with weeping

First my rash.  I saw my rheumie and he said something about it being pemphigus.  I thought it was just subacute cutaneous lupus.  (in addition to my SLE)  Btw I am very confused about lupus rashes, lol. 

Here is a pic of the rash and then another pic of it healing five days later.  It itched, it seeped it was in a circle with dark edges.  It hurt and pulled the little hairs on my neck.  I"d wake up with my long hair stuck to my neck.  Really gross stuff.  I had one like this on my chest (left me discolored but not scarred) and one on my face and one on my head.  (see my rashes page).




The various types of pemphigus include pemphigus erythematosus, pemphigoid, pemphigus vegetans, pemphigus vulgaris, and pemphigus foliaceus.

Pemphigus erythematosus, also known as Senear-Usher syndrome, is an overlap syndrome with features of lupus erythematosus (LE) and pemphigus foliaceus. Pemphigus is demonstrated by acantholysis and immunoglobulin deposits in the interkeratinocyte substance (see the image below).
Direct immunofluorescence microscopy performed on Direct immunofluorescence microscopy performed on epithelial biopsy specimen obtained from a patient with pemphigus vulgaris detects immunoglobulin G deposits at the epithelial cell surfaces. 
 The lupus component of pemphigus erythematosus is demonstrated by circulating antinuclear antibodies (ANA) and sometimes by immunoglobulin and complement deposits at the dermoepidermal junction
For a thorough description and introduction to the possible causes of pemphigus, see the article "Pemphigus: An Acronym for a Disease with Multiple Causes ", published by the International Pemphigus Society.[1] 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment