Friday, August 10, 2012

Crumbling and Grumbling (my teeth, that is! lol)

Hi guys!  I'm doing good, coming out of the lupus funk I've been in (tired and cranky, lol) but my back teeth on the top are crumbling.  Falling apart and falling out.  I had a gap back there where my filling fell out (was there about 30 yrs or more I guess) and it was getting worse and worse over the last 6 months but now the  tooth next to it is chipping (crumbling) away.  I've never had much trouble with my teeth till now so I'm a little nervous.  At least it's in the back.

Anyone else have problems with their teeth?  Is it from lupus?  I know gums are connective tissue, but I also know not everything is because of lupus (unless it's my fault of course and then I can freely blame lupus, hahahaha)  I know many lupies have problems with teeth and their gums from Sjogren's and dry mouth.  I'll keep posting as I go, time to go see a dentist, YUK!  

Here's some info I found about teeth:
The accumulation of dental plaque and tartar is usually what causes gingivitis, and it's almost always the result of inadequate brushing and flossing.
If poor oral hygiene promotes the overgrowth of bacterial plaque, changes in the composition of the plaque occur. The bacterial balance shifts over to gram negative anaerobic bacteria, which are responsible for inflammatory diseases.

The bacteria also invade the crevices between the gum and tooth (sulcus) and infect the periodontal tissues. These bacteria that form dental plaque and tartar release toxins that stimulate the body's immune system to over produce powerful infection-fighting factors called cytokines.

The immune factors of the body, in their effort to fight the infection, attack the person's own infected cells and periodontal tissues. This way, the supporting tissues of the teeth - gums, connective tissue and alveolar bone - are destroyed.
25% of lupus patients develop Sjogrens Syndrome which is characterized by autoimmune attack on the tear producing lacrimal glands in the eye and the saliva producing glands in the mouth which results in a sensation of dry eyes, sometimes accompanied by a feeling of sand, grit or gravel in the eyes, and dry mouth. The reduction in saliva production is unhealthy and can promote dental decay as saliva has the function normally of cleaning teeth and also provides antibodies which can protect from bacterial damage to teeth and gums. Persons with this condition need excellent dental hygiene, should avoid smoking, receive frequent dental cleaning and checkups and can use sugar free lozenges to promote residual saliva production. There are two prescription medications that can be used, salagen/pilocarpine and evoxax that promote saliva formation.

Lupus and related conditions can cause the gums to recede, making them more vulnerable to infection and potentially exposing the lower parts of teeth which aren"t covered by thick protective enamel. For this reason, lupus patients should take extra care of their gums and, if possible, use an antibacterial mouthwash twice a day. A dentist may be able to cover exposed areas of lower tooth with artificial enamel. A patient in this situation should also avoid sugary fizzy drinks and acidic fruit or drinks which are especially damaging to vulnerable areas of the tooth.




No comments:

Post a Comment